In today’s article, we talk about how the build-up of grease in a commercial kitchen is not only unsafe but also a potential fire risk to your company.
Many restaurants and takeaways overlook this detail and forget to carry out statutory maintenance that is required to prevent the buildup of grease and potential fire risks that not cleaning the ductwork can cause. This can not only invalidate your business insurance but also potentially lead to prosecution by the HSE (Health and Safety Executive).
Grease buildup got the better of this North East company earlier this year when “Firefighters tackle blaze at Riley’s Fish Shack in Tynemouth after a fire in extraction unit” Chronicle Live. Sadly, this is a common occurrence for restaurants and takeaways, but it doesn’t have to be this way.
Quidos Cleaning Services have a fully qualified grease hygiene technician on hand to safely remove any grease buildup in your commercial kitchen. We understand that on a deep clean of your kitchen, you may overlook places like ductwork and overhead extraction cavities, a place where grease can build up and potentially cause a fire.
How dangerous is a grease fire?
A fire at the best of times can be a very scary thing to have to deal with! You must remain calm and remember that water is the worst thing for a grease fire. Grease when hot can drip causing burns and is best left to the professionals to safely remove to prevent fires rather than leaving it too late.
Quidos Cleaning Services will leave your commercial kitchen gleaming, with no grease or potentially harmful bacteria and germs. Your kitchen ductwork and extraction will be cleaned to TR19 regulations keeping you legal and safe to operate your business.
What are TR19 regulations?
The TR19 regulations were defined by BESA in 1988, as a way to make duct and kitchen extract cleaning systems a standardized process.
It is now a standard to which most insurers and building engineering service sectors as the standard to match when performing ductwork cleaning operations.
Insurance companies will only provide insurance if they have a certificate of duct cleanliness that specifies that their ducts have been cleaned as per this standard.
Quidos Cleaning Services are on hand to complete your TR19 certified clean. Our team can keep your business compliant and keep you open and safe for your customers.
How often does your commercial kitchen ductwork need to be cleaned?
Quidos Cleaning Services in line with TR19 regulations recommends regular cleaning of your commercial kitchen ductwork systems, depending upon the frequency of use.
Multiple specialist inspections and cleanings must be completed to gauge a more accurate cleaning frequency, the recommended cleaning intervals are given below.
- Heavy use (12-16 hours a day): 3 months
- Moderate use (6-12 hours a day): 6 months
- Light use (2-6 hours a day): 12 months
What is involved in cleaning under TR19 regulations?
TR19 specifies specific cleaning processes to be used when cleaning ductwork and extraction systems.
Some of the necessary cleaning processes are:
- Hand Wipe: Wiping the surfaces of the ductwork system.
- Hand Scrape: Scraping heavy deposits from ductwork and extraction surfaces. Chemicals: Using recommended chemicals to soften or dissolve deposits, making it possible to scrape them off.
- High-Pressure Water Wash: Using high-pressure water or vapor lance to dislodge or dissolve deposits.
- Blasting: Blasting contaminants off of duct and component surfaces, to be vacuumed afterward.
Water or steam washing techniques may not be appropriate for ductwork systems situated above false ceilings or sensitive areas unless they are specifically designed for wet cleaning.
Also, after using chemicals or liquid cleaning methods, additional care must be taken so that the fluids and residues are cleared from the system to keep your customers safe.
How do you assess the cleanliness of your ducts and extraction systems in a commercial kitchen?
The primary method of assessing the cleanliness of the system is visual. Your surfaces must be visibly clean and capable of meeting strict cleanliness standards.
Further verification can be carried out through the use of WFT (Wet Film Thickness) and DFT (Dry Film Thickness).
Deposits must not exceed .05 mm (50 μm) in thickness to pass the TR19 inspection.
After performing a post clean verification, a report must be provided that states the following details:
- The systems have been cleaned
- Pre-clean measurements (WFT & DFT)
- Post-clean measurements (WFT & DFT)
- Photographic records
- Any Additional works carried out
- COSHH data on any chemicals used
- Recommendations for future cleaning requirements
- Observations on the condition of the ductwork system
- A sketch or schematic of the system indicating access panel and testing locations and highlighting any areas that are unclean with a written explanation as to why the area could not be accessed/cleaned
This report can be used to provide proof of cleanliness to insurers and environmental agencies, keeping your business compliant and safe for your staff and customers.
In conclusion, you can see that TR19 is not only essential for your business but also highly important for the safety and wellbeing of your staff and customers. Without properly certified cleaning, grease can be dangerous and potentially close your business if left to build up.
Quidos Cleaning Services grease hygiene technicians will service your extraction system to TR19 standards and issue you with approved certification.
TR19 is essential for businesses like:
- Fast Food
- Or any commercial kitchen with ductwork/extraction systems.
We use the latest technologies and innovative cleaning methods to provide you with the highest quality, value-for-money service.
All of our work is certified, and you can be safe in the knowledge that you will be getting:
- A 5 Star service from start to finish.
- Access and deep clean your business day or night (We work around you)
- All staff are CRB checked, specially trained, trustworthy & reliable.
- Our Rapid Deep Clean Team can be in and out between your opening hours to not disrupt your business.
- Certified Cleaning (Insurance Friendly)
- Commercial Deep Cleaning Sunderland
- Commercial Kitchen
- Commercial Kitchen Cleaning
- Extraction Cleaning
- Extraction Grease Removal
- Grease Build Up
- Grease Technician
- Insurance TR19
- Newcastle Commercial Kitchen Cleaning
- North East Commercial Kitchen Cleaning
- Quidos Cleaning Services
- Restaurant Kitchen Cleaning
- Takeaway Deep Cleaning
- TR19 Regulations